Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Task 6 - A critical Eye

In both towns that I studied I chose photography as a means of defining architectural character. I started by looking at buildings and spaces of architectural significance in both towns. I then chose themes including bridges, materials, facades, surfaces, embellishments, triangular shaped forms and open public spaces as a means of comparing the character.

In the end I chose facades and the relationship of the built edge of public buildings with the ground. I felt that in both towns, the variety that exists is of note and helps define the character of the place. There isn’t one particular style, use of material, scale, relationship with neighbouring buildings or proportion in the buildings of these market towns, which adds to the architectural character for all.



Maps showing photographed buildings' locations and route taken while exploring both towns, Longford and Castlebar














Longford Photos















Castlebar Photos



No comments:

Post a Comment